Someone told me that they identify as genderqueer because “transgender” is binary
Their logic was:
- "Trans" in Latin means "across"
- Which suggests that gender is a binary where you can “cross” from one side to the other
- And it doesn’t matter that “transgender” is defined by trans people and movements as anyone who has a gender identity other than the one assigned to them at birth
- Because, linguistically, it only allows for two binary options
- And also because a lot of binary trans people have shitty attitudes about nonbinary people, which really makes “transgender” into an anti-genderqueer word
- Oh no wait they didn’t say that
- They said they identified as pan/poly/omni/queer because bisexuality is binary
Please don’t shit on other people’s identities when you try to explain your own! There are plenty of perfectly good reasons to identify as any of those things, and you totally don’t have to delegitimize anyone of anything else just to identify a certain way.
A bi trans genderqueer person